Seal Rock Garden Club & Community Center
With so many abundant flora growing naturally along this region, a garden club had to be formed out of pure necessity and love of nature!
Address: 10377 NW Rand Street, PO Box 41, Seal Rock, OR 97376 (next to the Seal Rock Fire Station
Contact: Mary Aebi
, Publicity, Seal Rock Garden Club. Tel: 541-547-3268
In December before Christmas. Wreaths, swags, holiday greens, table decorations.
In June. Plants, flowers, trees that are ideal for the coast. Also floral arrangements to inspire you!
Blue Boy Rhodie by B. Goody
Pink Rhodie by B. Goody
The Seal Rock Garden Club
was formed in 1948
although some minutes were lost, Nell McDuffie
related that in
it's early days "Seal Rock was a tiny, isolated community where a few campers
and hotel guests came to enjoy the ocean, the fishing, the Indians, the quiet
and peace. There was a hotel on the cliff, a few "Russell Cottages" for
visitors, room for campers where the (Seal Rock) State Park is now, a General
Store and Repair Shop, a Post Office, a restaurant (Swiss Village
and a livery stable."
Foxgloves & Blue Lupine by B. Goody
Plans were developed to build a clubhouse and a lot was purchased for $400.00. Mr. Otto Boech
a member, brought his 'cat' from Beaver Creek and cleared and leveled the lot for free. Mr. Larry Kauffman
donated gravel for an entry road. Plans to build were abandoned in
April 1950 when the Forest Service sent word out about an auction of
old buildings from Camp Angell ("Camp 56") in Waldport which had house
conscientious objectors during World War II.(1)
The Seal Rock Community Club members decided to bid on one of
the larger buildings up for auction. This one had a kitchen and was larger than the barracks type. The bid was $305.00 agreed upon that evening,
but that night, the President, Ray Hall
, had a dream that someone bid the same amount and urged Mr. Jones to "get
reckless" and bid $306.00. As it turned out, someone had bid $305.00, so Seal Rock won the building by $1.00.
Freckled Pink Rhodie by B. Goody
The Camp Angell
buildings were originally constructed in 1920
making this probably the oldest standing structure
in SEAL ROCK. At 50 years old, the building needed to be moved from
Waldport to SEAL ROCK and the Club had no more money to spend. Their daring plan was to cut the building into three separate pieces and move
it on trucks to its current location. With many willing workers and three borrowed trucks, they did just that - in one day! Two months
later, the first meeting was held. Membership swelled to 121 by year's end and donations helped to furnish, renovate and bring the building to
A picture was donated by it's painter, William Anderson Marshall
, a retired engineer. Marshall had
painted scenery and backdrops for the old "Baker Stock Company
", and now he set
to work on a scene of a bit of Beaver Creek looking down Elkhorn Cook Ranch. According to
his daughter, Winona Cook
, the painting was too big to go through his door, so he spent four months painting it on his porch.
Marshall also built "The Stone House
" at the stop of Seal Rock Street by carrying the stones for the foundation up from the beach.
White Flowers by B. Goody
Our special thanks to the Seal Rock Garden Club
for their contribution of historical information.
All Photographs are copyrighted and remain the property
of the original named photographer with all rights reserved.
Using any of these photographs without express permission
by the owner is considered copyright infringement.
If you would like to contribute photos or information to the SEAL ROCK HISTORY project,
the webmaster today!
Updates, corrections and new pictures are always appreciated.